A novel break

by Ashlynmathews on September 13, 2012

My publishing debut hit the world on Monday, September 10th with the release of my paranormal, Shadow Watcher. Now, as I sit and try not to look at my Amazon rankings or reviews (ok, I  cheated and looked), I’m trying to distract myself by doing real me stuff. I listen to music. Rock’s best. I go for a walk. Actually, I prefer running while I listen to rock. And I’ve been reading like crazy. I’m partial to paranormals since that’s what I write. But I also enjoy contemporary romances too.

What do other writers do to distract themselves during their book’s debut and what has the experience been like? I’d say mine was a roller coaster ride of exhilaration and nausea.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Christina McKnight September 13, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Ashlyn! I haven’t found a way to distract myself yet. I feel the draw to write but I can’t focus. I’ve now been a published author for 13 days!

I feel like a ROCK STAR…how about you?

Ashlynmathews September 13, 2012 at 7:55 pm

LMAO! I feel like a contestant on the Voice trying to prove my worth. But I love Adam Levine. He’s so distracting!

Christina McKnight September 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm

He can distract me all day long! Before Maroon 5 was big they played a lot locally…I got to hang out with the group back in 2001! LOL

Ashlynmathews September 13, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Nice. He wears such tight jeans. Sigh.

Asa Maria Bradley September 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Whenever I’ve finished a project, I reward myself with a reading binge. I keep a pile next to my bed to tempt me while I’m working on the book and then when I’m done I’m allowed to read as much as I like. I also watch my favorite TV shows in one long marathon viewing, one episode after the other.

Walking and hitting the gym are my favorite ways of distressing. I tend to need a lot of that while in the middle of a project.

Ashlynmathews September 14, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Great idea Asa! A reading binge is a great motivator. That’s what I’m doing too. Read, read, read. Can’t wait to connect and catch up at ECWC.

Melia Alexander September 15, 2012 at 3:32 am

Not yet pubbed, so I can’t answer the question, but I do wonder if I’d feel the same “exhilaration and nausea” you feel!