Books and Friendship

by Ashlynmathews on April 26, 2012

Yes, I admit I subject my friends to my writing world – my characters, the craft of writing and my nuance to discreetly slip in a word about my writing during our conversations.  But since I’ve started to seriously write about a year and a half ago, my friends have been very supportive.  One particular friend has read all three or four versions of my current Shadowatcher, from very rough draft full of the f-bomb, to the final product.  And though I blushed when we talked about the love scenes in the book, she said the love scenes were classy.  What a compliment!

Writing is a solitary endeavor.  It’s nice to have friends who make you laugh, who tell you honestly that your hero is a jerk (he’s now to die for in the rewrite), or who scratches her head with you at all those acronyms when we ventured into Eroticas.

I’ve found that the books we read, suggest to one another, and talk about bring us together as friends.  I can’t hide or tone down that part of myself, the writer.  Just like I can’t silence the muse when it takes over my sleep-deprived brain at three in the morning.  Yet, there is a limit, and I hope my friends love and know me well enough to say “shut the hell up” (much nicer words, please) when they’re tired of hearing about the writer in me.

My friends are a part of who I am so I hope they’re not offended when they show up on my blog.  Of course, to protect the identity of the innocent and the occasional guilty party, no names or identifying characteristics such as moles, birthmarks or hair color will be mentioned.  Thanks guys for being there for me!

Ashlyn

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Nath April 28, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I have read parts of the book Shadowatcher and can’t wait to read the rest of it. I am also anticipating the book that Ashlyn is working on next. It looks promising.

Melia Alexander April 29, 2012 at 3:44 am

Hi, Ashlyn!

Congrats to a fellow Rose on a great-looking website – it really shows the tone of what you write. Nice!!

Looking forward to seeing where your writing journey takes you.

Happy writing,
Melia

Sabrina York April 29, 2012 at 4:45 am

Ashlyn, what a beautiful site!
Thanks so much for you warm welcome. I really enjoyed being your first guest!
I look forward to seeing your career blossom!
Sabrina York

Naomi Baltuck April 30, 2012 at 3:47 am

Hi Ashlyn, you have a beautiful website!

jw April 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Ashyln, It has been an honor & priviledge to have been able to literally watch you write your first and second book. I am so proud to get to say that I got to watch it all come together. You have worked hard and I see nothing but success in your future. I am thanful that I can say, “I knew her when..” <3

Rob May 2, 2012 at 2:29 am

Never read the book.:) but nice website Sis. Looks good.

Manfances May 4, 2012 at 1:08 am

Remember our motto- you only live once/YOLO! With that said, im glad to see you’re living it up by sharing your creativity and imagination with others, taking risks by putting yourself out there in this “new” author world and going strong! Your hard work and diligence are paying off- keep forging ahead, girl! I will always be here, chanting “YOLO, YOLO!” on the sidelines! 🙂

Kenneth Watley May 31, 2012 at 10:08 am

I’m still learning from you, but I’m trying to achieve my goals. I certainly liked reading all that is written on your website.Keep the stories coming. I liked it!

bespoke planters January 10, 2016 at 8:42 am

Hey I am so thrilled I found your blog page, I really found
you by accident, while I was looking on Bing for something
else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a remarkable post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
have time to read through it all at the moment but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time
I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb b.